Requests for reasons for a decision or recommendation: A guide to section 23 of the OIA and section 22 of the LGOIMA
This is a guide to requests made under section 23 of the OIA (section 22 of the LGOIMA).
Section 23 applies to requests for a particular type of information—the reasons for a decision which affects the requester personally. Such requests need to be considered within the special code that this section creates.
The guide covers:
- What is a section 23 request?
- Why have a right of access to reasons for decisions?
- Who can make a section 23 request?
- How to make or recognise a section 23 request
- Processing requirements
- How to answer a section 23 request
- Reasons for refusing section 23 requests
- What if a requester is unhappy with the decision made on their section 23 request?
It also has a couple of example section 23 statements.