The LGOIMA for local government agencies: A guide to processing requests and conducting meetings
The purpose of this guide is to assist local government agencies in recognising and responding to requests for official information under the LGOIMA. The guide also addresses the requirements in Part 7 of the LGOIMA relating to conducting local government meetings.
The guide covers:
- key principles and purposes of the LGOIMA
- Is my agency subject to the LGOIMA?
- What is official information?
- Special categories of official information
- What is not official information?
- Who can make a LGOIMA request?
- The form of a LGOIMA request
- An agency's duty to assist
- Processing requirements, including timeframes, transfers, extensions, urgency and consultation
- Making a decision, including reasons for refusal, conditions and charging
- Communicating the decision and releasing information
- Publication of information
- Good faith protection
- Conducting meetings, including notification of meetings, availability of agendas and reports, and public access to meetings and minutes of meetings
The guide includes a checklist for processing LGOIMA requests, troubleshooting tips and template letters.