Open main menu Close main menu

Serious wrongdoing at work (whistleblowing)

Hara nui ki te mahi (whio wīhara)

The Ombudsman can provide assistance if you want to make a disclosure about serious wrongdoing at work and be protected.

The Ombudsman also provides guidance to employers in the public and private sectors about how to follow the correct process when dealing with protected disclosures.

Read this section, or download a guide:

Making a protected disclosure

What is serious wrongdoing?

Serious wrongdoing includes:

  • unlawful, corrupt or irregular use of public money or resources
  • conduct that poses a serious risk to public health, safety, the environment or the maintenance of the law
  • any criminal offence
  • gross negligence or mismanagement by public officials.

Under the Protected Disclosures Act you can report serious wrongdoing in both public and private sector workplaces.