The purpose of this guide is to assist Ministers and government agencies in recognising and responding to requests for official information under the OIA.
The guide covers:
- key principles and purposes of the OIA
- Is my agency subject to the OIA?
- What is official information?
- Special categories of official information
- What is not official information?
- Eligibility to request official information
- The form of an OIA request
- An agency's duty to assist
- Processing requirements, including timeframes, transfers, extensions, urgency and consultation
- Making a decision, including reasons for refusal, conditions and charging
- Communicating the decision and releasing information
- Publication of information
- Good faith protection
The guide includes a checklist for processing OIA requests, troubleshooting tips and template letters.