The OIA for Ministers and agencies: A guide to processing official information requests
The purpose of this guide is to assist Ministers and government agencies in recognising and responding to requests for official information under the OIA.
The guide covers:
- key principles and purposes of the OIA
- Is my agency subject to the OIA?
- What is official information?
- Special categories of official information
- What is not official information?
- Eligibility to request official information
- The form of an OIA request
- An agency's duty to assist
- Processing requirements, including timeframes, transfers, extensions, urgency and consultation
- Making a decision, including reasons for refusal, conditions and charging
- Communicating the decision and releasing information
- Publication of information
- Good faith protection
The guide includes a checklist for processing OIA requests, troubleshooting tips and template letters.