Report on an announced targeted inspection of Manawatu Prison under the Crimes of Torture Act 1989
Excerpt from Recommendations
I make the following recommendations for improving the conditions and treatment of those in the Prison:
Recommendations to the Prison
- The Prison only use safe cells for the shortest possible period of time. This is discussed on page 7.
- The Prison undertake remedial work to the doors of the C Block Programmes Rooms as a matter of priority, and the rooms be reinstated for constructive activity. This is discussed on page 12.
Recommendations to the Department of Corrections
- The Department of Corrections provides additional use of force training to all staff authorised to use pepper spray, which includes training on de-escalation techniques and alternatives to pepper spray. This is discussed on page 11.
- The Department of Corrections prioritises the decommissioning and replacement of B Block with a modern, fit for purpose, building. This is discussed on page 11.
Recommendations to the Prison and the Department of Corrections
- The Department of Corrections and the Prison cease intrusive CCTV monitoring as a matter of priority, and implement monitoring solutions that ensure the dignity and respect of all prisoners. This is discussed on page 8.