Report on an announced follow up inspection of Matawhāiti Residence under the Crimes of Torture Act 1989
Excerpt from recommendations
I am making one repeat recommendation, one amended recommendation, and three new recommendations based on my 2022 inspection.
Recommendations to the Residence Manager
- The Residence provide facilities with sufficient privacy for confidential meetings and visits, including over Audio Visual Link (AVL). Discussed on page 20 and 21.
Recommendations to the Residence Manager and the Chief Executive of the Department of Corrections
- The Department of Corrections and the Residence implement recommendations made by the Review Panel in a timely manner. This is a repeat recommendation. Discussed on page 13 and 14.
- The Department of Corrections and the Residence ensure that residents are able to access frequent, specialist rehabilitative services that cater to their individual needs. This is an amended recommendation. Discussed on page 15, 16 and 17.
- The Department of Corrections and the Residence implement a workforce plan that ensures staff are suitably trained to provide for the rights and needs of all residents, including people with disabilities. Discussed on page 18 and 19.
- The Department of Corrections and the Residence ensure that policies, manuals and other guidance documents consistently reinforce residents’ rights, including access to medications and telephones. Discussed on page 19 and 20.