Results and remedies
On this page
Take a look at the Ombudsman's results for the year ended 30 June 2019.
Official information and administrative complaints
Received 11,886 complaints and other contacts (where someone made contact but there was no complaint) and completed 11,793.
- Overall clearance rate of 97 percent for complaints and 100 percent for other contacts.
- 88 percent of all complaints and other contacts were completed within six months.
- 72 percent of complaints received from 1 July 2018 were completed within three months.
In total, the Ombudsman obtained 1,081 remedies for the benefit of individuals and public administration.
Began two major self-initiated investigations:
- deaths of intellectually disabled people in forensic and residential care
- facilities and services provided by the Ministry of Health for people in intellectual disabilities.
Official information practice improvement
Concluded investigations of the official information practice of four central government agencies and one local authority:
- Ministry for Culture and Heritage
- Ministry for the Environment
- Department of Conservation
- Land Information New Zealand
- Horowhenua District Council.
Completed 90 requests for advice and guidance, 25% more than the previous year.
Completed 96 percent of all requests and enquiries within three months.
Monitoring places of detention
Visited 40 places of detention, including 22 formal inspections.
Made 288 recommendations for improvement, of which 266 were accepted or partially accepted.
Rights of people with disabilities
Published the guide Making Complaints to the United Nations Disability Committee: A guide for New Zealanders.
Advice, guidance and information
- Advised on 20 legislative, policy and administrative proposals
- Provided advice 420 times to public sector agencies
- Conducted 34 workshops and training seminars
- Published 23 new pieces of guidance material
- Delivered 40 speeches and presentations on the role of the Ombudsman and the operation of official information legislation.
- Published 2 sets of data about the number of complaints received and completed.